Re: Cap orientation

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

On Apr 7, 2005 6:30 PM, Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On 6 Apr 2005, at 21:45, Tesla list wrote:
>
>  > Original poster: "Steven Steele" <sbsteele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  >
>  > Are you shure? because we used an o-scope and a funtion generator set
>  > to the 100 range. I guess well have to double check. 833Hz may indeed
>  > simply be one of the nodes. Thanks.
>
> Steven, I am hazarding a guess based on what I've read that your
> secondary might be resonating at 833Hz because you have built a
> multilayer winding on it. Correct? If so, you have just wound a
> lemon. You can prove it to yourself in operation. Capacitors have no
> minimum voltage requirements - they simply are.
>
> Malcolm

Malcolm,

Even for a multi-layer winding, 833hz is still unbelievably low.  I
could see maybe getting down to 8.33khz... if you had a ferrite core.
I've wound a few HF HV transformers (ferrite based) and most of them
end up in the 50-100khz range for resonance, and thats with the core
making the inductance magnitudes larger.  But i rest my case, there is
no need to convince you of anything here ;-).

Steve Ward