Re: capacitance of homemade caps

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 7 Apr 2005, at 8:50, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Steven Steele" <sbsteele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I've tried using  function generator and an o-scope. the function
> generator doesn't have enough voltage to charge the caps. Don't worry,
> I won't plug it into the wall. ;) I think I'll just wrap the wire
> aroudn the pipe. :) Thanks.

What exactly do you mean by "charge the caps"? If you are expecting
them to be charged up to some DC voltage forget it. A function
generator puts out LV AC. At this point it might be helpful if you
post a picture of the circuit you are trying to implement and some
photos of the equipment you are trying to build. A picture speaks
louder than partial descriptions. Again I think some basic electrical
theory would be rather helpful to you.

Malcolm