Re: PFC

Original poster: "Gerald  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Ed,

I've wrestled with this myself. One would think that a LTR capcitive load on the secondary would give the primary impedance a capacitive look. I'm told that the shunts in the core keep the NST's primary looking inductive. I still dont think I understand this issue. I wonder if the sparkgap is part of the effect since it takes "real power" from the charging system.

Gerry R.

I still can't understand some of the rules of thumb for "power factor
correction" of TC power transformers, considering that the load is
already capacitive and disruptive in nature.