Re: Streamer colour

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss@xxxxxxxxxx>
Hi,
I think I remember seeing a picture of the quench gap in the ITS Symposia Proceedings. It's either 88 or 90. They also had a SF6 rotory besides the car. That gap might even have allowed 3 phase operation.
David E Weiss

David,

IIRC, SF6 was used on at least one of his gaps. Unfortunately, repetitive arcing through SF6 (especially in the presence of oxygen or H20) creates a variety of fairly nasty byproducts, including S2F10. Today, pressurized H2 is used for high performance high rep rate pulsed power gaps because of its superior quenching capability, low windage losses, and no toxic byproducts.

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge magnetic fields,
Lichtenberg Figures ("Captured Lightning" in acrylic), & Out-of-Print