RE: high voltage technique for external access to x-ray transformer?

Original poster: "Godfrey Loudner" <ggreen-at-gwtc-dot-net>

I have x-ray cables, but I don't like the looks of them. Some lightning
arresters are made of some kind of rubber, and the internals can be
knocked out with a spike. What remains looks like a classic high voltage
terminal. I put a PVC pipe inside the insulator and a smaller PVC pipe
inside the larger one to fit down the federal standard sockets of an
x-ray transformer. Terminals are fitted on the ends, a 40kvdc wire is
strung down center, and the PVC pipes are filled with transformer oil.
Closing the ends was quite a hassel. A small hole is drilled on the top
end of a terminal to allow for oil expansion, and a dab a vaseline on
the vent hole takes care of moisture entering. After inserting two of
these and checking for continuity, melted vaseline is poured down the
sockets. This gives the tank a great look. But with this arrangement, I
have not taken the voltage up as far as when using x-ray cables. So far,
I have seen no corona where the terminals meet the tank. Being more
conservative now, I see no need to take x-ray transformers all the way
up---something might breakdown.

Godfrey Loudner