Air Bubbles in oil

Original poster: "Richard W." <potluckutk-at-comcast-dot-net>

Hi all,

Transformer oil from a pig.
I've noticed that when filling a chamber with a transformer inside that it
takes several days of periodically pulling a vacuum before I see no more
bubbles. Though they become REALLY small I'll pull vacuum until I see none
at all.

Something else too.
A while back I built a containment system with 1" clear acrylic for a large
transformer. Anyway, after doing the above all seemed fine except there was
one air bubble at the top about the size of a dime. (up under the flat
surface of the top) It's location made it impossible to get at even if the
thing was turned upside down. (long story) Also the location of the bubble
was no threat to anything at all anyway so I just ignored it.
A few weeks later while looking for any signs of leaks no matter how small
(found none at all) I noticed the bubble was gone! What the?
All I can figure is that it dissovled into the oil somehow.
The containment is sealed but with an "expansion chamber" vented to the
outside to allow expansion and contraction of the oil and still remain
sealed. There's no way for air to get into the main area. I also use
emergency pressure "pop-out plugs".

Does this happen? Can "stuck" bubbles eventually dissolve?

I'm asking because I completed another containment system using 1" acrylic
but this time for a piggy. And again I see a couple bubbles about the size
of a pea I can't get at.

Rick W.
Salt Lake City