RE: A question about UV and homemade plasma globes

Hi,

I made lots of "cheap jar" type vacuum bell jars in high school.  Almost
any normal large jar will easily implode.  I just made a big plywood box
with a polycarbonate front to put them in.  Then when they blow out, you
just dump the glass and get another jar.  The box safely contains the
flying glass and all.  Get a big chunk of plastic for the base and oily
putty for the cheap seal.  I used to have great fun with vacuum things with
this simple setup even if it did blast out now and then.

I don't think there is any terrible danger from UV since the poly absorbs
it pretty well.  Just wear UV sunglasses if it is a worry.  You will never
get to X-ray vacuum levels with a cheap setup like this so no worry there.

Cheers,

         Terry