Re: Secondary catastrophe

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi Andy,

It's best to coat a new coil as soon as it is done being wound.  I have had
this problem to a much more limited extent.  Part of it is too much slack in
the windings and part seems to be streching of the wire.  I have found that
even the tighest wound secondary will loosen enough to pop a winding if left
overnight in a vertical position.  I would keep working at it till the coils
are back in place.  Starting at the top, try to turn the wire in a
tightening direction while pushing the wire upwards.  You should start
getting a gap forming as you work your way down.  You will get a few more
popped turns on the way down.  Just keep working the gap/popped turns down
and it should work itself out.  At the bottom, you will, more than likely,
have to reterminate to deal with all the slack.  It's a long slow process
but it can be done.

If you really want a headache, try doing a coil with 14 ga that had been
spooled with too much tension, which gave the wire small kinks.  After a
week of trying to flatten it all out, I finally gave up and coated the coil.

David E Weiss