Re: Spark Shield

Original poster: "Joel Andersson" <andersson.joel@xxxxxxxxx>

I was experimenting with different toploads about a year ago, and once I put a smaller toroid on top of a larger one. (Both 110 mm minor dia., 430 and 540 mm major) The streamers were still breaking out from the larger one, but downwards, at an angle of ~30 deg. below the horizontal plane of the toroid.
Increasing risk for primary strikes of course, but something that may be interesting for us with a low ceiling...

To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 1:51 AM
Subject: Spark Shield

Original poster: "Greg Fader" <gfader@xxxxxxxxx>
Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions on how to best shield the
ceiling (unfinished) in my basement from sparks. A few
posts I've seen indicate that a grounded chicken wire
screen is quite effective. I'm thinking this would
probably work, but wouldnt it have a tendency to
attract the sparks?  I'd rather not encourage arcs to
the ceiling, but prevent those that do occur from
striking the air ducts, wiring, etc.

Any comments or suggestions from those with experience
in this area will be most appreciated.

Regards,
Greg