Re: Magnet Wire Sources

Original poster: "john cooper" <tesla-at-tesla-coil-dot-com>

To elaborate on my 'issue' with Essex wire, I found problems with the
following gauges, 18, 20, 21, 22 & 24.  After 2 or 3 months of going nuts I
finally realized the common denominator was this cheap Essex wire and
replaced my wire distributor.  He mixed in some Essex when I specified
Dodge-Phelps and I didn't realize it until it was too late, of course he
was just trying to save me some money or some such nonsense but I expect a
long-time distributor to know the differences in the products they
represent.  When I stocked up on wire I bought spools of every gauge from
12 up to 26 and I've since replaced all that was Essex.

Also, in addition to Heavy Duty Armored Polythermalize (HDAP) coated wire,
there is an Extra HD Armored Polythermalize, I think that type is triple
coated.  This is my new wire of choice (comparatively expensive) although
I'm still happy with HDAP.

John