Re: Panasonic MMC bit the dust...

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Daniel,

Thanks for your concern about the loss.  I really
wasn't at all surprised.  I still think in terms of
the old school philosophy that "real coilers"
occationally blow up components...just because they
want to see how far beyond specs they can be pushed.

Of course like I said, my cap was under designed for
both voltage and current.  My cap also goes way back
before the geek caps.  Late 1999 I believe it was.  I
felt the temp of caps many times after several minute
runs and they were never even the slightest bit warm.
But then, that isn't really surprising considering
this was likely (according to Terry) an over voltage
failure event rather than an over current one, which I
would think would result in heating of the caps.
There was some flame visible, but that was probably
produced by some of the poly dialectric catching fire
because of repeated arc through.

In any case, I will be sending the entire MMC to Terry
in a few days for analysis.  I have asked him to take
photos to share with the list.  It should be
interesting when we get the results of his failure
mode analysis.

-Brett

 > Original poster: Daniel Hess <dhess1-at-us.ibm-dot-com>
 >

 > Brett;
 >
 > Sorry to hear of your loss. I too am currently
 > running a Terry-inspired
 > Panasonic MMC. This thing goes back to the days
 > before the Geek Caps. I
 > frequently feel/inspect the MMC after a run and it
 > is always cold to the
 > touch. (Well, room temperature anyway). The
 > important thing is that they're
 > not even warm.
<SNIP>