Re: About the skin effect in humans

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 21 May 2004, at 8:19, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "mercurus2000" <mercurus2000-at-cox-dot-net>
 >
 > I was just curious, I hear the skin effect in human beings still very
 > deep at standard tesla coil frequencies, does anyone here have
 > references or sources as to where the information is gathered about
 > how deep currents penetrate into the human bodies at different
 > frequencies? Thanks, Adam

Skin depth has the resistivity of the "conductor" factored in and
humans, not being the best conductors in the world have a
consequently large skin depth. The other important variable is
frequency, skin depth being inversely proportional to the square root.
Engineering texts by Terman et al have formulae for skin depth.

Malcolm