Lighting Things....Re: Tesla Coil RF interference

Original poster: dave pierson <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

 >Actually Scott, I went back and measured it, it was 24'. The Neon tube
(8" long) was made at a >sign company down the street from where I live.
The tube only glowed red and could be seen with >the lights out. The
streamer length was only about 4".

>My 6" dia. Pig powered coil would not do this, even though I was getting
>8' streamers from it. I really believe that it has a lot to do with frequency.
     I'd expect it has as much to do, perhaps, with details of grounding
      arrangements and SHORTNESS of streamers.

      For a given amount of power (energy) in, if lots is going into flashy
      streamers, its NOT available to light tubes at a distance.  As near
      as I have seen it guessed (and i concur) IF Tesla had made
      power transfer work the upper terminal would have been 'quiet',
      with just a pale corona....  (I don't think long distance transfer
      would work, but if.....)

     Typically to 'light' the tube a voltage gradient across the ends must
     exceed 'whatever'  (Fluorescent tubes, with phosphors on the
      walls are somewhat separate case....).  Details of the grounding
      arrangement can affect the local voltage gradient.  Flashy Streamers
       tend to reduce the gradient....

       best
         dwp