RE: SSTC hits 66"

Original poster: "Steven Ward" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Godfrey.

I built my first SSTC as a high school student (last year i was 17).  I
didnt know the first thing about what a mosfet even was, let alone all
those other chips and stuff!!  The best way of learning is to build it, but
i will say that having a background in this area will help, even though i
have never taken an electronics course.  I came up with the ISSTC based off
of an idea seen in Jimmy Hynes' DRSSTC... but Dan's PSSTC is basically an
identical copy of my work... so to answer your question, no, you dont need
a complete EE background to make such a design ;).  You just need to start
small and work your way up to it.

I suggest you start by looking for electronic tutorials online (this is
where i learned most of the stuff).  Possibly look for some simple SSTC
projects and pick them apart and figure out how they work (maybe even build
it!).  There is no need for exhaustive reading, only when you really want
to know everything ;).  If you look at my site, there is quite a range of
SSTC projects, many of which have the schematics (those that do have them
were created for others to build).  If you ever wish to attempt them, just
email me and i can answer probably all of your questions.  Many electronics
"newbies" have copied the "Micro SSTC" and "Mini SSTC" with lots of success
(Kreso for example).  Anyway, i dont think there is any reason you cant at
least attempt a SSTC unless you simply cant afford it financially but then
again, any TC is that way.

My site:

http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/srward16/

Steve