Re: Best cap size for a sync gap

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Terry,

On 6 May 2004, at 19:26, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-twfpowerelectronics-dot-com>
 >
 > Hi Malcolm,
 >
 > Its speculation!!  Some NSTs have air gaps and others have the shunts
 > crammed in pretty tight metal to metal.  Indeed, ones with air gaps
 > should not saturate and would theoretically be poor candidates for an
 > SLTR coil.  But the whole saturating thing is just an idea without
 > proof.  If one were good, one could find an NST and work out all the
 > areas, core types, magnetization curves, ... to see if the idea really
 > has a basis in fact.  Pretty simple stuff for those that know the art
 > of transformer design.
 >
 > Cheers,
 >
 >          Terry

Well having established that, it might now be possible to make some
real headway into characterizing the transformers in a manner that
could be of some benefit. Laminations that are packed edge - edge are
gapped at least to a minor degree. The way around that in building a
good transformer is to interleave the E's and I's on opposite sides
of the winding for each laminating layer. Any edge-edge gaps that
then exist are rendered a lot less significant since there is now a
significant face - face area between the opposing E's and I's (if I
making this clear ??).

     Factors governing NST behaviour might now be arranged in some
kind of order thus:

(1) the fact that the primary and secondary windings are spatially
separated means that a significant amount of leakage inductance will
be present with or without any kind of core.

(2) With no load on the secondary, the shunts will play little if any
part in the scene with the designed-for mains voltage applied (well,
do they? - has anybody calculated or measured whether the x-sectional
area of the core sans shunts is sufficient to keep the magnetizing
current within, say, 1 Amp?).

(3) Again with the rated (or lower) primary voltage applied,
progressive loading on the secondary is going to start forcing some
flux into the shunts, the amount being somewhat proportional to the
reluctance of the magnetic path through the shunts (this includes the
rather large reluctance of any airgap present).

This would be basic behaviour as crudely designed for. Things start
getting complicated once (a) significantly greater than the designed-
for mains voltage is applied to the primary and/or (b), a resonant
circuit is present due to a capacitor hooked across the secondary.
Given the variation between the way different brands of transformers
are constructed, one imagines that modelling starts branching in a
direction dictated by a specific transformer design.

I can easily see where non-linearities would arise without the shunts
and then get a lot more complex with. How closely has any NST been
modelled and quantified with respect to its physical parameters?

Malcolm