Re: Coat the secondary or not?

Original poster: Mr Gregory Peters <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Michael,

Positives:

a) coating helps prevent the wire from sliding off the form (which does
happen when the coilform shrinks in cold weather).

b) a thick coating protects the enamel insulation on the wire from being
damaged when your neice knocks the secondary over.

c) coating insulates the coil, reducing corona loss, and allowing slightly
(very slightly) higher coupling. Also, coated coils seem to suffer less
damage when arc overs occur (if you cut the power quickly).

d) prevents dust from gathering between the windings, easier to keep clean.

negatives:

a) takes effort to coat a coil, though not much if you don't care how it looks.

b) theoretically increases rf losses, but not enough to notice.

c) theoretically increases inter-turn capacitance, but who cares when we
use a massive toroid anyway?

d) makes repairs harder

Comments:

a) Any increase in rf loss or inter-turn capacitance is offset by the
increased power handling ability of the coated secondary, besides these
negatives are practically non-existant. Coated coils tend to handle arc
overs better too, and you often can just give the arcing areas a light
recoat to solve the problem.

b) If you coil conservatively, you will never suffer from racing arcs and
so on anyway. Just be "gentle" when playing with coupling settings, and
don't make big changes. Cut the power as soon as something goes wrong,
before big carbon tracks form on the secondary. Then give it a light recoat
to repair.

Conclusion:

just coat the damn thing :), for the sake of protecting the windings
against damage by being dropped, and to hold the wire on there. Who cares
about the rest? If you really care about a few watts (if it's even that
much) of rf dissipation, you should start with teflon tank capacitors and a
pseudospark gap (why aren't coilers using these yet?). :) :)

If you want to wind a secondary for short term testing, and have no
intention of keeping it forever, don't coat.

Actually, now that I think about it, I can't remember if teflon is better
at rf than polypropylene anyway.......

Cheers,

Greg.