Re: Corrected di-el strength of gas

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 08:21 AM 5/5/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "john cooper" <tesla-at-tesla-coil-dot-com>
>Hi Bert:
>
>Maybe I'm not following this too well but how in the world is a flammable
>gas, i.e., hydrogen, used in a spark gap?  Totally contained?  Under
>pressure?  I suppose it would need oxygen to burn.  When I picture
>blasting a stream of hydrogen into an uncontained spark gap I also see a
>flame thrower, maybe it's just me but I've no exposure or experience with
>the devices you've mentioned so please excuse my naivete'.  They do sound
>strangely compelling though.
>
>John
Easy enough... you put it in a container, just like you suggested, where
oxygen is excluded.  There IS a bit of a problem with hydrogen, and that is
that it leaks out (the molecules are small...), so hydrogen filled devices
either have a hydrogen reservoir of some sort (H2 adsorbed onto a palladium
sponge, for instance) or provisions for refill.  The classic sparkgap
technique is to put the gap into a closed chamber with a small amount of
liquid methanol (CH3OH).  The chamber fills with methanol vapor, which
dissociates in the spark to form H2. The oxygen binds with the metal in the
chamber, and stays there as an oxide. As the H2 leaks out, more methanol
vaporizes, etc.  (Naturally, opening the chamber, while it's full of hot
methanol fumes and with sparks flying, can lead to some "excitement".  Such
disasters occasionally occured back in the days of King Spark, where
someone would open the door to the spark chamber without letting it cool)