Re: Tesla and quack medical products and Neon glow mugs

Original poster: David Speck <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

John,

I suspect that these are similar in principle to the "Neon Coffee Mugs"
sold by Spencer gifts.  A hollow glass mug filled with neon lights up when
it is set on a featureless black pad connected to a wall wart.

Has anyone hacked one of these sufficiently to figure out the circuit?
I'd like to have a slightly more powerful one to light Geissler tubes, or
to test laser tubes without the risk of puncturing the glass as can happen
when you hit them with a vacuum leak tester.  It is just a flat coil driven
by an RF oscillator?  I've heard of non contact testers for neon sign work
but they seem expensive, and I've never seen one for sale anywhere.

Dave

Original poster: John <fireba8104-at-yahoo-dot-com>