Re: MOT Wiring Question

Original poster: David Speck <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

David,
Good Find!  I have disassembled a couple of these old Radaranges.  I think
the 4 kV refers to the total DC output of the doubler stage.
These MWOs have the most powerful MOTs of any domestic MWO I have
disassembled.  The small separate transformer is indeed a highly isolated
filament transformer.
The Radarange MWOs have at least double the power handling capacity of the
common cheapie Sharp MWOs that I find in almost new condition by the
dozens, though all of them put out about the same voltage, give or take 20%.

Someone posted a while back that a magnetron behaves like a 4 kV zener
diode.  Therefore, there's no advantage to having a MOT that puts out, say,
6 or 8 kV.  However, the more current the MOT puts out, the more microwave
radiation you can make.  The magnetic shunts in the MOT core provide a
degree of current limiting to regulate the whole system, as do the
components of the voltage doubler.

Dave