Peak Primary currents (was Re: MMC bleed resistors)

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

Actually, if there are more strings of MMCs and the same overall
capacitance is maintained then the current is shared more or less equally
amongst the strings.  So two strings will have half the current of a single
string.

A TC with a freq of ~200kHz and driven by a single 12/60 NST with an LTR
static gap coil using the Geek MMC "recommended design" of 1 string of 8
caps gives a peak primary current, according to JavaTC, of 430A.  That's
*right* at the spec sheet's limit of 432A!  Using a secondary with a higher
resonant frequency will only increase the current beyond the rated limit.

This is why I stated last week that I feel smaller TCs tend to be more
stressful on the MMC, with respect to peak current, than larger
TCs.  Although the peak currents do go up with larger TCs, the MMC
generally has more strings to share the higher current.

Regards,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group