motors Re: rotary jacobs ladder(was Magnetic quenching.)

Original poster: dave pierson <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>I was referring to the synchronous mechanical rectifier referred to in the
>previous links. It seems like if there's any significant load on the output
>the arcs will just simply be stretched out (like a climbing arc on a JL)
>until the next electrode presentation where the process would repeat, unless
>the motor was perfectly synchronous. I always thought that exactly 1800/3600
>(or some multiple of 60 for 60Hz) rpm = 0 torque,

    Sort of.  Its a bit more complex than that.
    Both a synch or induction motor will develop MORE torque
    as it tries to slow down due to load (or speed up,
    if externally driven...)
    A _real_ _Synchronous_ motor will have enough
    torque at synch speed to hold that speed.

    An induction motor will always be a bit under synchronous speed,
    (even at no load.)

    (The term synchronous speed applies to BOTH types.
    an unleaded or lightly loaded sync motor will be
    AT synch speed.  An unloaded or lightly loaded
    induction motor will be a smidge slower than... )

>so no such thing as a perfectly synch motor.

    There is,
    cf as above.

    best
     dwp