From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Saturday, 13 March 2004 9:46
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: MMC bleed resistors

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi Tristan,

I tried it with 7.5 and 15KV ceramic disk caps.  The caps would melt the
paraffin out and then explode with a flash leaving just the two wires.  I
then went to 1 gallon cider jugs with a lot better results.  If your going
to go with an MMC, stick with the 942's or equivalent.

But then again if you have LOTS of em, lots of parallel strings might get
the current down to manageable levels, and prevent their destruction.
However, corona losses could be too high to prevent it from being useful.
If you have a ton of them taking up space, try it, and see what happens.
Either way you can have the fun of watching them pop like little
firecrackers or the fun of getting streamers off your coil, or both.

David E Weiss