Re: Liquid properties

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 11:20 AM 3/12/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: dave pierson <davep-at-quik-dot-com>
> >
> >  >Most water is conductive.
> >     Most AVAILABLE water is conductive.
> >     and water used around HV gear tends to get 'stuff' in it,
> >     unless continually 'deionized' or otherwise treated.
> >
> >     However.
> >
> >     Really POure Water (difficult to get, hard to keep pure)
> >     Is a dandy insulator.
> >
> >     I've mentioned previously the HVDC inverter that
> >     feeds into the local power grid.  To insulate/cool the
> >     solid state inverter stacks they use 99.9999ifergethowmany%
> >     Pure Water.  +/- 500,000VDC...
> >
> >     best
> >      dwp
>
>         It is common practice to wash the insulators on HC power lines using
>water and a hose on a tall pole.  Apparently the resistivity of the
>moving stream is high enough that it doesn't fry the equipment at the
>nozzle end of the spray.  It would probably be fairly easy to spray
>water into the INSIDE of the pipes to cool them, if you could figure a
>way to keep it out of the gap region and give it a place to accumulate
>so it didn't short out any of the sections.  Worthwhile????????

Actually, the power line washing machine is cleverer than that.  The stream
of water in the nozzle is interrupted into short bits, so there's no
continous stream to the ground.  Somewhere on the web, there's a photo of
what happens to one of those trucks when the interrupting mechanism fails.