Re: Oscilloscope help - not directly related but slighty off topic

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 11:36 AM 3/11/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: Kreso Bukvic <kreso.bukvic-at-kc.htnet.hr>
>Time to build SSTC-s but anyhow i need a oscilloscope! A trip to hardvare
>stores brought prices of few thousand dollars, ops to expensive! After a
>trip to black market waht do you say on this scope is it good, will it be
>good for SSTC-s and rest of the electronics?
>
>digital storage osciloskop: GOULD typ 4035 (20 MHz )
>Price 200 Eur
>

>Best regards
>
>Kreso Bukvic

I'd hunt for an analog scope.. debugging pulsed stuff with a digital
oscilloscope is often a battle with the triggering and sampling. With
analog, the jitter shows up as horizontal fuzziness in the trace.  (Yes,
the newer, very expensive digital scopes do this too..)

Something like a Tek 465 is nice and should be inexpensive. It has decent
triggering capability and 100 MHz bandwidth.  There are hordes of similar
scopes around.

I don't think an old 500 series tube scope would be the ideal for debugging
a SSTC, bandwidth, stability, and triggering just isn't as good as newer
transistorized scopes, but, you never know.

When buying a used scope, make sure the CRT isn't burned or dead.  They're
expensive to replace.