RE: Magnetic quenching.

Original poster: "Daniel Kline" <daniel_kline-at-med.unc.edu>

I was thinking of putting pieces of that asbestos-replacement stuff
(transite?) that neon benders use, or fiberglass board/blanket that
glassblowers use, in front of the magnets to protect them from heat. It
wouldn't take much (in terms of thickness) and would protect the
magnets. In fact, a thin coat of castable refractory on the pole-faces
would probably do just as well.

I would also use magnets across two axis: if the spark is axis X, then I
would have magnets across Y and Z to really pull the arc apart. Or would
that just be redundant...?
Dan K.