Re: Fritz vs TCBOR -- initial results in...

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Bart,

Thank you for all your help and insight.  I appreciate
all the criticism that arrived in my mailbox as a
result of the playing around I did using those gaps.
That's part of what makes being on this miracle of a
mailing list so enjoyable.  We can reap all the
benefits of having peer review from professional
engineers and receive no discrimination for being
merely amateurs.  It is an amazing privledge to have
the input of people with formal training who take time
out of their demanding jobs to comment on the work
done by people like me, who are doing it just for the
fun of it!

I will try to find time pretty soon to sit down and
make a Word or Acrobat paper documenting my
efforts...plus probably run the coil with these gaps a
few more times.  Perhaps I can clear up the problem
regarding the incomplete tracing of the Fritz gap.  It
could be due to the placement of the antenna or the
scope itself.  It also could be that the coil was
backing up into the mains (and into the scope) and
skewing the display.  I have an isolation transformer
I could put in series with the variac and the mains.
Actually I had planned on using it initially but
forgot.

I will also do what John Freau suggested and perform a
test where I tune for max spark output with each of
the gaps and make a comparison on the practical "big
arc" domain.

Thanks again.

-Brett