Re: Safety--NFPA70E and Flashover Clearance Info

Original poster: "John Richardson" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>

Hi Dave,

I am glad that you brought this subject up, and was hoping that you could
offer some insight into my problem.  I am getting to the point in the
basement where the streamers are getting long enough to start hitting things
that they shouldn't be, ie house wiring.  I have moved everything as far
away from gas lines, wires, etc, but after having added another quick coiled
up piece of dryer duct, things changed dramatically.  While tuning, I went
from no output to tremendous output, with streamers longer than expected,
and therefore hitting the Romex in the ceiling.  I didn't expect this.  If I
run chicken wire on the ceiling, and ground it out, will this be enough to
keep things safe?  I think it would.  Also, what are the thoughts on a
dedicated line filtered 120v line for all coiling activities?  I DON'T want
fires, and I am at a level now that concerns me.  Up until recently, I've
been a firefighter and hazmat tech for various volunteer departments, and
having seen the aftermath of carelessness, I want to avoid it.

Thanks,
John Richardson