X-ray trans circuitry question

Original poster: "Ben Ziegler" <crossguy-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Last weekend's trip to the junkyard yielded the following large piece of iron:
http://seras.math.uiuc.edu/~cjschult/tmp/tmp.html

  It's rated output is 60kv, 3.5kVA.  I hope to use it as a Marx bank power
source.  I've never dealt with one of these beasts before.  As far as I can
tell, the hv tranny is supplied with conditioned 220V from the gold
transformer (at the leads in the foreground of the center picture).  The
outer winding on the large core is connected via heavily insulated leads to
the resistor network.  Five additional inputs enter the picture here, two
attached to the resistors, three go into one winding on the smaller core.
  The resistor bank is attached to a hv capacitor and the short winding on
the small core.  The short winding has two outputs hanging loose, which I
assume are the final hv output.  I'm also assuming the resistors,
capacitor, the second core and windings are current limiting circuitry.
  I ask for help understanding the circuitry in the transformer.  The
resistor bank, for example, has some  'mystery' devices on it that I've
never seen the counterpart to: a yellow plastic 'black box' with two leads,
a couple of sealed glass tubes that resemble blown fuses or spark gaps?
I will post a crude schematic once I figure some more out.

thanks,
Ben Ziegler
--
btw, the x-ray tube has been rendered inoperable post-photo.