Re: SSTC does 10 foot sparks

Original poster: "John Couture" <johncouture-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Gerry -

I agree you cannot "get more average power out than what is coming in".
However, it is very possible to get much more pulse power out than average
power in. With Steve's TC it appears that the average power in is about 4800
watts and the pulse power out is about 300 KW giving a power gain of 62.5 .
Refer to my reply to Jim.

With a potential power output of 300 KW it is obvious that a very
long spark would be possible depending on the TC design. That is why using
power instead of energy units is not good for rating Tesla coils. It can
exagerate the output possibilities of a coil so you have to be very specific
about the input conditions.. If you use energy units you will not have this
type of problem. The energy output units will always be less than the input
units.

"Peak power out will be larger than peak power in" is another example of the
confusion caused by using power with Tesla coils. "Peak power out" cannot be
larger than "peak power in" unless there is a time difference between the
two
stated powers. This means bringing in time into the process which gets you
into an energy process. It would be preferable to say that "Peak power out
will be larger than average power in".  This still requires more
explanation. The time period involved in the output vs the time period
involved in the input. And we are back again into energy out vs energy in.

Note that when using average power that you are adding time to the power
units which brings you into the energy unit solution. This has caused great
confusion for coilers in the past. Average power is actually energy because
you have to use time to find the average power. In other words when you
connect a wattmeter to the input of a TC you are measuring many parameters
depending on how you want to use them. For example the wattmeter gives you
at the TC input

   1.  wattage
   2.  average wattage
   3.  peak wattage
   4.  instantaneous wattage
   5.  volt amps
   6.  RMS wattage ??

Correctly using all of these parameters can be very confusing. You can avoid
all of the above confusion by properly using energy units to rate Tesla
coils. If the wattmeter is used as an energy meter you have to do some calcs
and you end up with different numbers compared to using it as a power meter.
For example a 100 watt wattmeter will give you 50, 100, 200, etc, watt
seconds when used as an energy meter if the times are 1/2, 1, 2, etc,
seconds.

There is a much more to comparing power vs energy and I find that in some of
my past posts I have used the words incorrectly. Coilers are correct when
they say that power and energy can muddy the waters.

John Couture