Re: TC & Lightning

Original poster: "Ed Phillips" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

"DC field, and yes, you can extract it to run small electronic
devices.  Scientific American's Amateur Scientist had an electrostatic
motor that ran off a kite/balloon suspended wire."

	You'll find designs for several such motors on the web at Bill Beatty's
"Wierd Science" site; don't have the URL in my head but Google should
get it easily.  Lots of fascinating stuff there, some real and some
fictional, but worth some reading.  Lots of TC's and all sorts of HV and
electrostatic devices.  You can build a very simple motor with a
styrofoam cut covered with aluminum foil sectors as the rotor and a
couple of soda cans for the two stators.  I have a larger version made
with half-liter soda bottles and it spins away merrily when excited by a
small VDG.

Ed