Re: without wires?

Original poster: "Chris Swinson" <tesla-at-cps-electronics.co.uk>

 > A good way to guess at conduction in gas at low pressures is to look at
 > conventional sign tubes.  At a current of 60 ma the voltage drop is of
 > the order of hundreds of volts per foot, so the resistance is around
 > 1000 ohms per foot or greater.  As for the greater area of the ionized
 > air, that's true but you'd have to figure a way to connect to it.
 >
 > The biggest problem with his "transmission line" scheme is the capacity
 > of it to ground.  He visualized, in effect, a conducting layer over the
 > entire surface of the earth at a height of maybe 25 miles, which is of
 > course too low.  Here's the problem.  The capacitance to ground of that
 > layer would be so high that enormous currents would be required to
 > maintain the voltage he planned to use, and the power lost in the
 > circuit resistance would likewise be enormous.  Furthermore, to achieve
 > his high voltage at the transmitting end and his resonant reception at
 > the receiving end extremely high circuit  would be required and again
 > the losses make that impossible.  Final problem is that the height of
 > that layer varies with time so that the inductance of the necessary
 > coils would have to be variable.

Pressure in a tube is not the same as air pressure at a great altitude, the
voltage and amperage is already there, Tesla didnt need to provide great
mega wattages.

Theres a very nice patent which was issued in brazil, cant remember much
about it, but the basis was running a wire a mile long supported a fair way
up from the ground which gave a nice few free bucks of wattage, if its true
or not I have no idea, though it didnt make the headlines for a while.
harnessing the wattages from the capacitance of the earth is not uncommon,
Tesla simply took this one stage further.

 > I'm sure Terry's tired of this subject but go to one of the free energy
 > lists and the conversation goes on and on, as it has since the internet
 > was started.

...... and you would think it could be solved in practice rather than
speculation by now ;-)

Chris