Re: Overvolting pigs?/ NST supply and demand issues

Original poster: Harvey Norris <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Original poster: "Sean Taylor" <sstaylor-at-uiuc.edu>
 > The same goes for running the RSG from the NST: it
 > would saturate from the
 > 28.8 kV on the secondary.
Probably not. If I understand you are thinking of
running an AC motor from the normally high output
voltage of the NST, depending on the relatively low
impedance that load would present to the source, and I
also imagine also that the current demand of the motor
would be far in excess to what the NST itself could
supply, these factors should drop the output voltage
down so low, that the motor probably wouldnt even
turn, ( again if the current demand was higher then
what the supply can make.) I routinely use my 15 KV 30
ma NST powered at half voltage,(60 volts from variac,
making an open circuit voltage at least near 7000
volts); I use the NST at half the normal voltage
operation to make colloidal silver rain water for the
garden in 17 gallon batches.  Using 4 cells in
parallel, after DC rectification  via diodes I obtain
a current limited supply near 12 ma, or the desired 3
ma per cell. But that open circuit 7000 AC volts only
outputs 13.5 DC volts across the rainwater. I use the
NST for this purpose because it is a current limited
supply, and I wish to keep the current near 3 ma for
each cell. I couldnt do that with batteries, because
once the water starts becoming more conductive via
silver deposition, it starts consuming more current.
It takes about 24 hours to make the water twice as
conductive with that regimen, and the limited 3 ma
current across each cell minimizes silver oxide
formations on the electrodes, and keeps the colloid
size reasonably small.

  NSTs are made fairly
 > inexpensively, they aren't
 > even designed to withstand the full rated voltage
 > forever, as when they
 > are loaded with a tube, the voltage is supposed to
 > be around 1/2 of the OC
 > output.
It should be safe to measure the voltage across a 20
inch neon, AFTER the neon has been lit. I obtain only
about 500-600 volts AC measurement. But if we had two
neons in series, of course the NST output would then
be doubled, exceeding the normal 750 AC volts rating
of most digital volt meters. A very unusual thing is
also noted when measuring neon voltages from the solid
state neons advertised as 20,000 hz output. Using an
analogue (needle) voltage meter, and a smaller 4 inch
bulb that normally ignites about 250 volts, the higher
output frequency seems to allow the bulb to ignite at
a lower voltage threshold of 200 volts. No big deal
there, a higher frequency might be more effective for
gas ionization. In fact that same bulb that ignites at
250 volts 60 hz from a resonant voltage source, can be
given a miniscule arc gap formed between bars, and
then an arc will be in series with the neon, which
changes the discharge to a seemingly brighter but
paler color discharge, and then the  analogue needle
voltage meter across the neon now reads a reduced 200
volts, as the addition of this arc made high frequency
component has also reduced the neon ignition voltage.
But the bizaare thing that is noted with the 20khz
supply is that the lower voltage ranges of the meter
all give different lower voltage answers, where a
lower range may actually record 50 volts, where the
higher range reads the presumed corrent 200 volts. The
higher 20 khz frequency supply must be reacting with
the internal impedance of the measuring instrument, so
as to cause it to give erroneous answers, also then
implying that each different voltage range has a
different internal impedance.
For yahoo users some pics of the 60 hz normal 60 hz
discharge, and its accompanied scoped radio emmision;
from the folder
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/files/MED/
Normal  60 hz 260 volt discharge
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/files/MED/Dsc00462.jpg