RE: Quarter Wavelength Frequency

Original poster: "David Thomson" <dwt-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Malcolm,

What is your point?  Do you know of a way to quantify both the RF and AC
propagation in a Tesla coil?  If a coil isn't quantified just by its quarter
wavelength, and part of the energy is being transferred magnetically via RF
as Terry said, then both mechanics have to be accounted to calculate the
resonance of the coil.

The velocity of electron and photon propagation should be measured, not
judged.  I realized they are two different velocities, but that doesn't
change the nature of the problem.  If both are present in the coil, then
both need to be accounted for.

There cannot be a magnetically transferred current through photons if there
is no current running through the wires to generate the photons.  So there
must be an equation that accounts for both, whether it has been discovered
yet or not.

My question is not whether you understand the nature of speed in electrons
and photons, but whether you know of a way to quantify the resonance of a
Tesla coil in terms of both, simultaneously.

Dave

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 11 Jul 2004, at 17:28, Tesla list wrote:

  > Original poster: "David Thomson" <dwt-at-volantis-dot-org>
  >
  > Hi Terry,
  >
  > You raise an excellent point concerning the magnetic transfer of
  > current through a coil.  So are you saying the current is flowing
  > through the coil as both electrons AND photons, with the electrons
  > flowing the length of the wire and the photons flowing the length of
  > the coil?
  >
  > If this is the case, how do we quantify the split traffic?  Are there
  > equations we can use to determine how much work is being performed by
  > the electrons and how much is being performed by the photons?
  >
  > Is there a certain ratio of traffic along each route that is better
  > than other ratios?
  >
  > It would appear that a coil is then quantified simultaneously as a
  > radio frequency and as an AC current, with different quantities of
  > work being performed by each.  The total work would be the total work
  > of the AC plus the total work of the RF.
  >
  > Dave

Wave velocity is the speed a disturbance (which influences electrons
in the wire) propagates along the length of the coil, not the speed
with which electrons travel within the wire.

Malcolm