Re: Quarter Wavelength Frequency

Original poster: Paul Nicholson <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

Gerry Reynolds wrote:

 > There are a lot of experience folks on this list that have
 > said that 1/4 wave resonance does not come into play and
 > the resonance is determined by the effective LC parameters
 > of the coil (or coil and top load combo).

There's no complaint with the '1/4 wave resonance' bit, it's
a perfectly good name for the fundamental resonance of a
structure clamped at one end and free at the other.  It is
equivalent to 'LC' resonance.

Our point to Jared is that the frequency of this resonance
is set by the self and mutual reactances of the structure in
question, and not by the properties of the materials that
went into its construction.  To use a mechanical analogy,
one wouldn't expect a tuning fork to keep the same frequency
after it had been hammered and worked into a different shape.
Jared I think is saying that the tuning fork will ring not just
with its new frequency but also its old one too.
--
Paul Nicholson