Re: MOT coil does not light

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 1/26/04 10:54:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Alright well......I tried switching around the HOT hookups on the MOTs and
>some interesting results...
>
>How I had it originally, each side (2 transformers) to each 110v, made a
>nice spark, but had to be touched to start the arc.
>
>2 inside transformers to 110v and the 2 outside transformers to 110v created
>just a small spark when the HV leads were touched
>
>one inside and one outside to a 110v and the other inside and outside to a
>110v yielded the same small spark.
>
>Any ideas? I really am hoping to get a definate answer so I don't have to
>mess around in that darn oil.

Aaron,

I would prefer to see you use one 240 single phase ac supply for this.  It
would be easier.  If you are going to use two different 120 volt wall
outlets to get the load balanced, make sure you use polarized or three
prong plugs so you get the same connection each time and lable them as to
which wall socket they go to.  I understand you have 4 mots in series with
the center two inside H.V. windings tied to the cores, cores tied together
and to ground, yes?  If they are laying out on the floor, left to right,
lets number them # 1 through # 4.  Mots # 2 & # 3 are the center
two.  Connect the cores together, which still have the inner H.V. winding
tied to the core I think, so the H. V. windings are now in series.  Now
connect the primaries in parallel or one to each wall socket, as you
like.  Power them up and see if you can draw a nice arc.  If you can't,
turn one set of primary windings around and try it again.  Correct phasing
of course is when you can draw a nice hot arc.  Ok, now lable these as to
how the primaries were connected and to which wall socket.  Disconect them
and hook up Mots # 1 and # 2.  Using the outside H.V. winding from Mot # 2
connected to one H.V. winding on Mot # 1.  You have both H.V. windings on #
1 and # 4 disconnected and insulated from the cores, correct?  Connect the
primary of # 2 as you did before and connect the primary of # 1 to which
ever wall socket line you want.  Try the arc test again.  If you get a good
arc, they are ok.  If not, reverse the primary on # 1 and try
again.  Again, lable the primary wires on # 1 and as to which wall socket
they go to.  Now disconnect these and do the same for Mots # 3 and #
4.  When you get all done, hook them all up as you have them labled and
they should work fine.  You are using some ballast for these I hope.

And, of course, be very careful with these things - they can kill you.

Ed Sonderman