RE: Sources for MOTs (& Cu. Wire in Oz.)

Original poster: "Philip Chalk" <phil-at-apsecurity-dot-com.au>

Subject: RE: Sources for MOTs

Original poster: "Arpit Thomas" <neko4-at-dodo-dot-com.au>

                      > Snip <

I've found neon sign transformers very hard to come by in sydney,

 > Reasonably, yes & HV transformers generally - I hope the Americans
realise how spoiled they are :-)

Also since you are in sydney as well, would you mind telling me which
places you have found to be good for copper enameled wire on a spool?
I know I can get heaps from a microwave oven fan, but that isn't on a
spool, so I can't use a winding machine :/

 > I guess you know of Farnell & RS, in Sydney & elsewhere, but only up
to 500gm (1.1 lbs) rolls, OK for smaller coils. A roll of that in .5mm
(25 SWG) will get you a bit over 1000 turns on a 76mm (3") dia. Coil; or
a little under 1000 at .56mm (24 SWG), and a wound length in the 500mm
ballpark.

 > I tried a couple of wire suppliers in Sydney, like A.F. Bambach,
Pirelli, but for fast, easy, friendly, over-the-phone, I last used (2-3
yrs ago) Blackburn [Wire and/or Cable], can't remember] in Victoria
somewhere - look them up.  On a spool in any gauge you like, at any
weight you like, at better prices than most. ( and mine was 10%
over-weight !)

 > Wild guess - 500gm from Farnell probably around $35, that'd probably
get you 2kg from Blackburn