Re: Tesla Coiling / High Voltage Research Topics

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Gary,

Good idea. I did a test sometime back for John Couture using a simple
method to determine power. An analog meter was connected across a solar
panel (2" x 3" I picked up from Jameco). I put the lamps in an aluminum
enclosure which had a 1/2" hole in the side. I taped the solar panel in
place on the outside of the enclosure over the hole. The current through
the lamps caused a voltage to be produced back at the analog meter.
Following logging data, I then powered the lamps with a DC source and
adjusted the voltage until I had the same reading on the analog meter. I
could then measure the source current and voltage and accurately calc the
power required. Pretty simple technique that John C. taught me. If the
lamps are too bright, it's easy enough to filter the light for a nice
centered deflection. Note, calibration isn't required because of the DC
source technique takes care of that.

What you mentioned sounds similar, so thought I'd shoot that out there. Oh,
should you use 500W halogens in an enclosure, you'll need to mount a fan to
keep it cool. I used 500W hologen lamps on my test as well (the box got
pretty hot). The reason fo the enclosure was to prevent light from any
other source.

Take care,
Bart