Simple harmomnic and waves was Re: Difference between 1/2 wave and 1/4 wave resonance ? ? ?

Original poster: "Robert Jones" <alwynj48-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi all,

I think I have done this a few time before but here I go again for the new
comers in to theory.

It is true that the oscillations in a lumped circuit and the standing waves
of a coil are both due to the same laws of electromagnetism but that fails
to highlight the differences between a simple harmonic oscillator and
standing waves.

The difference in the frequency equation is the 2pi term is replaced with
4(1/4 waves) for the wave case. The reason why 2pi works in Tesla coil calcs
is the C term contains a correction factor.  This is part of the reason why
Medhurst self C  and the actual intrinsic C (as measured) of a coil are not
the same value.  It also causes one of the errors when attempting to
calculate f with a top load using simple addition of the Cs.

It is true that a coil is a long way from a uniform transmission line but
that does not make it a simple harmonic oscillator.

Paul that's a great web page.

Bob