Re: strange ligthning lamp

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Vladimiro,

The inside surface of the glass bulb is coated with a thin layer of various
phosphors to provide different colors inside various regions of the bulb.
The discharge itself is a blue-white color (xenon?), and it emits a bit of
ultraviolet light which can excite the phosphors. The nearer the discharge
gets to the glass envelope, the brighter the nearby phosphors will light,
to the point where the discharge itself seems to change color.

As a result, the single looping discharge pictured on your site appears to
be colored green in one region, red in another, and blue in a third region.
Otherwise this device is similar to other plasma globes you've seen.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP