Re: Secondary coil form material

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Original poster: "Luke"

What are some of the better commonly used coil for materials.
PVC is what I would like to use simply for availability.
But from what I have read PVC has a high dissipation factor.

PVC is used quite often due to availability and obvious low price...which
is sometimes free if you find the right dumpster.  Folks have talked about
PVC being lossy for years but I haven't seen a compelling comparison
analysis between PVC and say, HDPE, in TC duty.  Besides, are you really
worried about losing a centimeter or two from your point to point
discharge? 'm not.  See my 6" system (with PVC form)  hitting John Freau's
effciency numbers right on the head.  720VA....1.7 * SQRT(720) ~ 45.6in.

Has any one designed a system with PVC and the changed no other aspects of
it but to wind an identical secondary on say Polyethylene or some other
material?

If so what were the results?

I would say someone probably has, but let me guess that the gain enjoyed by
the lower dialectric loss would not be significant to sway your average
junk scrounging coiler away from the use of the ubiquitous PVC.

How much would my arc out put suffer if I used PVC?

Very little (if any).  I use PVC.....my arc has never suffered in any way.

Brett (KI4DBK)

<http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/brett>http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/brett

Luke Galyan
Bluu-at-cox-dot-net