Re: SRSG or ARSG

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 1/15/04 10:25:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Why does running an ARSG too slow build up too much voltage on the
>capacitor?  A static gap is the ultimate in slow and people use them all
>the time.

When ARSG is run too slow, firings may be missed.  THis lets
the voltage build too high if a resonant value cap is used.  If LTR
cap is used, voltage should not build up, but may still go too high,
perhaps due to voltage reversal issues.  Such voltage reversals
also heat the NST due to a bad power factor.  Of course if the
safety gap is set properly, then the voltage can't go too high.
Also, some NST's can resonate even with an LTR value cap,
depending on the particular NST and LTR value.
Also, the longer a high voltage is impressed on the NST without
firing, the more voltage stress the NST sees.

I'm not sure what you mean about a static gap being the ultimate
in slowness?  A static gap can fire slowly or fast.  A wider
gap will fire more slowly and let the voltage build higher.  A narrow
gap will fire more often and keep the voltage lower.  Using a too-wide
static gap is one of the most common ways to destroy NSTs.

John