Re: video/film of coils..Re: Hybrid-Maggy

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Original poster: "Jim Lux"

Watch out for some strange things going on when videotaping or filming a
TC. For almost all recording devices, there's an effective shutter
interval, when it's collecting light, and a time when it's not. A standard
motion film camera has a 50% or 25% duty cycle, so if a spark occurs when
the shutter's closed, it won't show up.

Yep, I've experienced this phenomenon quite a bit using a first generation
SONY Digital8 handycam from about 7 years ago.  It didn't affect filming of
my 6" disruptive static gap TC, but has been a real problem with DC
applications, like sparking with Cockroft Walton multipliers, and single
shot TC experiments like my participation in GMHEICSLR contest.  I found
that by slowing down the shutter speed (which my camera allows you to do in
the "Nightshot" mode) I could catch the rapid DC discharges.

-Brett

hot-streamer-dot-com/brett

If the camera speed is slightly different from the 60Hz that the coil is
running at, the image on the recording may fade in and out, as the shutter
phase moves against the power line phase.

Solid state cameras have a similar phenomenon, that can be even worse. In
bright light, the camera does automatic exposure control by reducing the
exposure time (down to around 1/10,000 sec). That starts getting you into
the 1-2% duty cycle, making it even harder to capture the spark.

As a practical matter, this might be useful for examining spark growth,
because it's kind of a like a vernier, or a microwave sampling head, slowly
sliding the sampling window past the underlying waveform.

There are cameras that can be locked to an external source (i.e. the power
line or video sync) but they are the exception, rather than rule, in
consumer gear. Pro gear almost always makes a provision for shutter sync
(film) or gen-lock (video).