Re: "Green Monster" Magnifier completed

Original poster: Edward Wingate <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com
 >
 > Ed,
 >
 > Yes.  I did get the idea of attaching my primary with the wire ties and
 > spaced with the PVC tubing from your magnifier.  Works well. and maintains
 > equal spacing through out.  I actually split my PVC tubing lengthways and
 > just fitted it over the copper tubing.  I'm not sure if you actually thread
 > each
 > PVC tubing piece through the copper tubing, or if you also split the tubing
 > in half and just press fit it on.
 >
 > I haven't measured the coupling (K) yet.   The primary to secondary spacing
 > was taken from a suggestion to me by Richard Hull which is about 4 inches.
 > I did some calculations using one of the Mutual Inductance calculators, and
 > with the 4 inch spacing and my coils, I could get a decent range of k = 0.3
 > to 0.6 roughly
 > depending on primary height.  However, i'll have to actually measure it and
 > see what it turns out to be.
 >
 > What is the coupling to have on your magnifier?
 >
 > Also, do you have any important Lessons Learned that you could pass on
 > regarding your magnifier?
 >
 > Thanks much!
 >
 > Dan

Dan,

I'm lazy, I split the tubing! The PVC tubing works great, but I tried
the red radiator hose with black lining for spacers on my first
magnifier primary and you can probably guess what happened. Yep, just
like the fourth of July! Should have known better.

Your coupling wants to be as high as possible, but anything over .5
becomes very difficult to insulate against arcover. The coupling on my
maggy is .482.

I think you already know most of the necessary basics, quick quenching,
tight coupling, low inductance in the driver, high (6 to 8X) inductance
in the extra coil, very large topload on the extra coil. The rest will
come as you fine tune the system. Never forget to put on your
transmission line unless you like unexpected fireworks! :^)

Ed Wingate RATCB