Re: RSG Mounting Problem

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Ian,

I use a press center hub. You'll find these in the motor section of a
hardware store. Basically, the hub is used to attach a pulley of some type
to the shaft. 2 machine screws pull the hub on and into the pulley, which
causes the hub to clamp onto the motor shaft. There are no problems with
set screws or anything of that nature to deal with. It's a very secure fit
and naturally centers the pulley perpendicular to the shaft. What I did for
my G10/tungsten disc, was to attach the disc to the pulley with three grade
8 bolts. Then it's just a matter of sliding on the disc and inserting the
hub. The pulley is heavy and wouldn't be good for small motors if trying to
stay in sync, but for say 1/4 HP or larger, it's a good arrangement. The
added weight of the pulley helps with dampen the initial startup stress of
the disc.

Anyway, that's what I do.

Take care,
Bart