RE: Fwd: [jlnlabs] TESLA COIL REVISED

Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Dan -

You are correct the Cp/Cs and Ls/Lp ratios are identical if the TC is in
tune.
I said the ratios and should of said the impedances are different.  When the
input wattage is the same and the ratios are changed the impedances change
and the currents change. The losses also change and so does the overall
efficiency. The goal of the TC designer is to find the optimum conditions in
the above changes so the overall efficiency is the highest.

If the toroid is increased in size the capacitance ratio and the inductive
ratio are both decreased. However, the primary current is decreased but the
secondary current is increased. The opposite happens if the toroid is made
smaller. These curves gives us an opportunity to find optimum conditions. I
don't believe these optimum conditions have ever been found for any Tesla
coil.

John Couture