Re: MICARTA ? Anyone know what this is?

Original poster: C T <ct451-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Original poster: Dan <toodamtall1-at-yahoo-dot-com>
 >
 > They threw some of this out at work and I was
 > thinking
 > of using it to insulate for voltage.
 >
 > Does anyone know if this contains asbestos?
 >
 > Thanks
 > Dan-Ft. Lauderdale

micarta is usually mixed in with some sort of fiber
(paper, cloth, carbon fibers and even asbestos) to
give it mechanical strength. Electrical properties
vary but are usually of secondary importance to the
mechanical ones unless the material you came across
was specifically designed for such a purpose. What was
it used for at work?

It's often used as substitute for ebony on knife
handles and such and that's where I became aware of
it. I also came across a line of african fertility
statues made of micarta some time ago.

Chris