Re: MICARTA ? Anyone know what this is?

Original poster: Zagarus Rashkae <arbitrarily_random-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Dan,

Micarta is a composite with fabric (usually canvas)
embedded in a matrix of phenolic resin. It should work
fine for holding off voltage. The black types you may
want to test for conductivity with a low current HV
source (flyback, ignition coil...). Just clip one end
of the HV to the Micarta block and bring the other
near to see if it will arc or make corona.

I think Bill Wysock uses Micarta blocks to support the
primary of his Model 2 Tesla coil, so you should be
fine with normal brown Micarta.

Regards,

Chris