Re: MMC or Maxwell? Which is better?

Hi Ken,

>If I set out to collect flowers, I'd have a large collection as well. I'd
>bet a large number of the 50 aren't true RF duty rated caps, and would have
>failed because of improper use. I can take the best 12 vold light bulb, and
>it's going to fail if I plug it in an outlet.
>
>KEN

One other thing about MMCs ;-))  They were designed from the ground up for
"Tesla coils".  So all the fudge factors and over design was directed
toward the common mistakes and mishaps "coilers" make.

The huge over voltage and self healing features are the biggest advantage
to help MMCs survive those resonant rise events that have killed so many
nice commercial caps (Terry filters save the NSTs ;-))

The next big advantage are the simple charts for all kinds of NST coils so
folks can get exactly what they need (minimal cost) without having to worry
about RMS current, voltage rating, and all kinds of nasty details that also
kill commercial caps.  All the hard work is done.  One just follows the
charts and gets the caps and they will work...  When I get Tesla coil caps
nowadays, shipping costs and delivery times are the only worry...  I "know"
they will work perfectly fine once I get them...

Of course, a commercial cap that is run on a Tesla coil within it's
voltage, current, etc. ratings will be fine aside from that defective cap
thing years ago...  But aside from the aluminum and plastic, there is also
a lot of testing and "work" that has gone into making MMCs "work" for
coilers.  In fact, I have never really thought about using them for
anything else!  Commercial caps make "you" do all the work, where with
MMCs, all the work is already done.

Another thing "I" always stress is that MMC have (should have) drain
resistors which I think vasty increases safety...  No worries about
residual charges on an MMC...

Oh yeah!!  MMCs are also sold pretty much at cost.  There are no big
markups.  I think I lost a couple bucks on the 4000 I sold and I don't
think Chris is using his profits to pay off the Geek Lamborghini :o))

I know there will always be people that want to use the commercial caps and
that is fine.  They may be better on really high powered coils.  But I
don't think there is a lot of reason for the average coil builder to use
anything else unless they can't afford them.  In that case, the Geek Bucket
cap...  But I think there is no doubt that the MMC directly caused the
instant extinction of the oil filled poly rolled cap ;-))  Remember them :o)))

An interesting thought, if one put a commercial 25kV 13nF commercial cap in
parallel with a 25kV 13nF MMC*.  How would one blow up the MMC without
hurting the commercial cap??  Of course, blowing the commercial cap without
hurting the MMC is easy ;-))

Cheers,

         Terry

*Of course, one answer may be to directly short the thing at 20kV.  But the
inherent inductance and ESR of the MMC will serve to protect
it.  Commercial caps are good to about 5 full dead shorts...  But the
current in those shorts IS "cool"!!!  If you need those stunning currents,
you need commercial caps...  Coilers don't...