RE: Paschen paper online

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 08:06 AM 2/26/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>
> >I don't have
> >any english HV engineering books at hand, but the ring cap should be a
> >standard component, "protective ring capacitor" or similar...
>
>I would call it a guard ring capacitor.
>
>Other things that I noticed were "loading" and "unloading" which are literal
>translations of "Ladung" and "Entladung", but it should be "charging" and
>"discharging", likewise there are probably a few instances of "load" that
>should read "charge".

Might also be "breakdown voltage" as the phrase "unloading potential" (tr
from "Entladungspotential" ) shows up a lot.

Bringing up a translation style issue...
Should Potential be translated as potential, or as voltage (the more common
modern English usage).  Perhaps Voltage should be used only for things
measured in Volts, as opposed to some other units?

And, of course, I suppose we're really translating for content, not to
appreciate late 19th century German technical writing style, so we could
just translate what Paschen meant, as opposed a literal translation.

>And the "Queck's Silver Manometer" Which is a mercury manometer
>(Quecksilber=mercury) not some kind of device invented by the late Dr. Queck
>:)
>
>alsoo "interpooled"=interpolated etc.
>
>Steve Von C.

Electrometerjustirung
Electrometer justification -> Electrometer calibration