Re: NST and GFI protection

Original poster: brent meyer <res095fx-at-verizon-dot-net>

The brown material is probably Conothane.  We used to use it to pot our high
voltage power transformers into cans for noise reduction.  It has to be one
of the toughest potting materials I've ever had the misfortune to deal
with...  Its nearly impossible to remove.  Shorting the reset switch will
only cause the eventual failure of the GFI, as the device will attempt to
trip with every fault it detects.  The only way to be sure of operation is
to remove and bypass the device completely.